Current:Home > InvestRekubit Exchange:Judge green-lights narrowing of main road through Atlantic City despite opposition from casinos -Golden Horizon Investments
Rekubit Exchange:Judge green-lights narrowing of main road through Atlantic City despite opposition from casinos
Indexbit View
Date:2025-04-06 09:25:21
ATLANTIC CITY,Rekubit Exchange N.J. (AP) — Atlantic City got a green light Friday to proceed with a project to reduce the width of its main street from four lanes to two, despite fears from casinos and a hospital that the plan could tie the city into gridlocked knots, scare away gamblers and delay emergency vehicles.
Superior Court Judge Michael Blee rejected arguments from five casinos and a hospital that the half-finished project to narrow Atlantic Avenue in the name of pedestrian safety could cause irreparable harm if allowed to be completed.
The judge said no one has yet been hurt by the project, which began last month, during the resort’s slowest period of the year. He added that if opponents of the plan ultimately prevail in court, the road can simply be restriped and put back the way it used to be.
“The court does not consider the personal inconvenience of residents and visitors to be irreparable harm,” he said.
Mayor Marty Small said the city received $24 million in federal and state funding that will pay for newly paved roads and sidewalks, and new street lights and synchronized traffic lights.
“That’s $24 million in non-Atlantic City taxpayer money for the citizens of Atlantic City,” he said.
At a news conference in December, city officials said the money came with the requirement that it be used on pedestrian safety measures such as the road narrowing project.
Attorney Keith Davis represents the Caesars, Tropicana, Resorts, Bally’s and Hard Rock casinos, and the AtlantiCare hospital in Atlantic City. He argued that the city has no legal authority to alter traffic flows on the street, which is part of the city’s Tourism District.
Authority over that vast area of the city was ceded to a state agency, the Casino Reinvestment Development Authority, under a 2011 state law.
But the judge noted that the agency, commonly referred to as CRDA, was not part of the litigation and did not appear in court.
Even with two lanes in each direction, the main road through Atlantic City can be choked with traffic, particularly on days when one or more big concerts are in town.
The Casino Association of New Jersey, the trade group for the city’s casinos, wanted the judge to block the plan.
“The Atlantic City Boardwalk casino properties and AtlantiCare are disappointed in today’s ruling,” said Mark Giannantonio, president of the association and of Resorts casino. “We stand firm in our belief that this change in traffic patterns on Atlantic Avenue could have very real public health, safety and general welfare implications.”
The judge has scheduled a trial for February 2025. But Small noted that work on phase two of the project is due to begin in September, and should be completed long before any trial.
___
Follow Wayne Parry on X, formerly Twitter, at www.twitter.com/WayneParryAC
veryGood! (92)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Lady Gaga stuns in Olympics opening ceremony performance with French feathers and Dior
- Fly on Over to See Ariana Grande and Cynthia Erivo's Wicked Reunion at the Olympics
- A 15-year-old sentenced to state facility for youths for role in Kansas City Chiefs Super Bowl rally
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Sheriff's office knew about Sean Grayson's DUIs. Were there any other red flags?
- For Falcons QB Kirk Cousins, the key to a crucial comeback might be confidence
- Should you stretch before exercise? After? Never? Here’s what to know
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Lululemon's 2024 Back to School Collection: Must-Have Apparel, Accessories & Essentials for Students
Ranking
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Why Ballerina Farm Influencer Hannah Neeleman Rejects Tradwife Label
- Justin Timberlake's Lawyer Says He Wasn't Intoxicated at the Time of DWI Arrest
- Mexican drug lord Ismael 'El Mayo' Zambada and 'El Chapo' Guzman's son arrested in Texas
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Harris will carry Biden’s economic record into the election. She hopes to turn it into an asset
- Champagne sales are down. Why aren't people buying the bubbly like they used to?
- CAS ruling on Kamila Valieva case means US skaters can finally get gold medals
Recommendation
The FBI should have done more to collect intelligence before the Capitol riot, watchdog finds
Wandering wolf of the Southwest confined through 2025 breeding season in hopes of producing pups
Water Polo's official hype man Flavor Flav wants to see women win fourth gold
AI 'art' is ruining Instagram and hurting artists. This is what needs to change.
Military service academies see drop in reported sexual assaults after alarming surge
Which country has the largest delegation in Paris for the 2024 Olympics?
A 3-year-old Minnesota boy attacked by pit bulls is not expected to survive
Sheriff's office knew about Sean Grayson's DUIs. Were there any other red flags?