Current:Home > ContactEU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back -Golden Horizon Investments
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
TrendPulse Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 07:29:19
BRUSSELS (AP) — Some European Union countries on Thursday doubled down on their decision to rapidly halt asylum procedures for Syrian migrants in Europe, but said that it was too early to consider sending any of the hundreds of thousands of people who have fled since 2011 back home.
Austria, Belgium, Germany, Greece, Finland, Ireland, Sweden and non-EU country Norway suspended asylum applicationsfrom Syrians in the wake of Bashar Assad’s fall. France is weighing whether to take similar action, at least until Syria’s new leadership and security conditions become clearer.
The decisions do not mean that Syrian asylum-seekers will be deported. The EU’s executive branch, the European Commission, has said that currently “the conditions are not met for safe, voluntary, dignified returns to Syria.”
“We need to wait a few more days to see where Syria is heading now,” German Interior Minister Nancy Faeser said. “What is the situation? What about the protection of minorities? What about the protection of the people? And then, of course, there could be repatriation.”
Asked by reporters whether it would make sense to organize repatriations at an EU level, Faeser said “it would be very expedient to organize this together.”
But she stressed that Syrians who work in Germany and abide by its laws are welcome to stay. Over 47,000 asylum claims by Syriansare pending in Germany, a main destination in Europe for those who have fled since 2011.
“This is not a long term pause as far as I’m concerned,” Irish Justice Minister Helen McEntee told reporters. “It’s really positive that the Assad regime has come to an end. At the same time, we can all see that it’s not clear what will happen next.”
The arrival in Europe in 2015 of well over 1 million refugees –- most fleeing the conflict in Syria –- sparked one of the EU’s biggest political crises as nations bickered over who should host them and whether other countries should be forced to help. Those tensions remain even today.
Almost 14,000 Syrians applied for international protection in Europe this year up to September, according to the EU’s asylum agency. Around 183,000 Syrians applied for asylum in all of last year. On average, around one in three applications are accepted.
Already on Monday, despite deep uncertainty about the country’s future, hundreds of Syrian refugees gathered at two border crossings in southern Turkey, eagerly anticipating their return home following the fall of Bashar Assad’s government.
In the days since Assad’s abrupt fall, rebel leader Ahmad al-Sharaa, formerly known as Abu Mohammed al-Golani, has sought to reassure Syrians that the group he leads — Hayat Tahrir al-Sham, or HTS – does not seek to dominate the country and will continue government services.
HTS appears on the EU’s anti-terrorism sanctions list as an affiliate of Al-Qaeda. That freezes any assets it has in Europe and prevents European citizens and companies from doing business with the group or funding it. Al-Golani is subject to a travel ban and asset freeze.
Belgium’s interior ministry said Thursday that the whole of the 27-nation EU must monitor Syrian migration flows, amid concern that Assad loyalists might seek refuge in Europe.
It said that around 100 of its nationals are in Syria, and that intelligence services believe that eight of them might have links to HTS.
On Tuesday, the EU’s top diplomat expressed concern that Syria might violently fall apart like neighboring Iraq, or Libya and Afghanistan if its territorial integrity and the rights of minorities are not protected.
“The transition will present huge challenges in Syria and in the region,” EU foreign policy chief Kaja Kallas told European lawmakers during a special hearing.
The U.N.’s refugee agency has called for “patience and vigilance” in the treatment of Syrians who have sought international protection, and believes that much will depend on whether Syria’s new leaders are prepared to respect law and order.
___
Kirsten Grieshaber in Berlin contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (612)
Related
- Dick Vitale announces he is cancer free: 'Santa Claus came early'
- Residents sue Mississippi city for declaring their properties blighted in redevelopment plan
- Douglas Clark, convicted murderer and half of the Sunset Strip Killers, dies of natural causes
- Barbieland: Watch Utah neighborhood transform into pink paradise for Halloween
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- More than 85 women file class action suit against Massachusetts doctor they say sexually abused them
- Pakistan says suspects behind this week’s killing of an anti-India militant have been arrested
- Inflation is way down from last summer. But it's still too high for many.
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- JPMorgan profit jumps 35%, but CEO says geopolitics and gov’t inaction have led to ‘dangerous time’
Ranking
- FACT FOCUS: Inspector general’s Jan. 6 report misrepresented as proof of FBI setup
- 7 killed as a suspected migrant-smuggling vehicle crashes in southern Germany
- Tomorrow X Together's Taylor Swift Crush Is Sweeter Than Fiction
- Nearly 500,000 Little Sleepies baby bibs and blankets recalled due to potential choking hazard
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- The Golden Bachelor's Most Shocking Exit Yet: Find Out Why This Frontrunner Left the Show
- Israel-Gaza conflict stokes tensions as violent incidents arise in the U.S.
- Man charged with stealing ‘Wizard of Oz’ slippers from Minnesota museum expected to plead guilty
Recommendation
Woman dies after Singapore family of 3 gets into accident in Taiwan
Oklahoma judge sent over 500 texts during murder trial, including messages mocking prosecutor, calling witness liar
5 things podcast: Book bans hit fever pitch. Who gets to decide what we can or can't read?
Man pleads guilty to ambush that killed 2 officers and wounded 5 in South Carolina
What were Tom Selleck's juicy final 'Blue Bloods' words in Reagan family
New Suits TV Series Is in the Works and We Have No Objections, Your Honor
Troye Sivan harnesses ‘levity and fun’ to fuel third full album, ‘Something to Give Each Other’
Republicans tweak Brewers stadium repair plan to cut the total public contribution by $54 million